Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This Sounds Like a Stunt

A comic book writer claims he was harassed by TSA officials over his script for a new comic book:

Comics writer Mark Sable was detained by security at Los Angeles International Airport because he was carrying a script for a new issue of his comic miniseries, Unthinkable. Unthinkable follows members of a government think tank that was tasked with coming up with 9/11-type "unthinkable" terrorist scenarios that now are coming true. Sable wrote about his experience saying, "...I was flagged at the gate for 'extra screening.' I was subjected to not one, but two invasive searches of my person and belongings. TSA agents then 'discovered' the script for Unthinkable #3. They sat and read the script while I stood there, without any personal items, identification or ticket, which had all been confiscated. The minute I saw the faces of the agents, I knew I was in trouble. The first page of the Unthinkable script mentioned 9/11, terror plots, and the fact that the (fictional) world had become a police state.


I don't know much about Sable, but this definitely sounds like a publicity stunt. "See, I was writing about how the world had become a police state, and the TSA proved it!" Except of course that Sable somehow lived to tell his tale instead of spending the rest of his life in a FEMA concentration camp.

Labels: ,